Ten skills and traits to target for your next admin. superstar
Does your company need a new administrative assistant, office manager, or receptionist? If so, you might appreciate some advice on what skills to target in your search. You’ve come to the right place…
Top administrative talent is vital to ensure the smooth running of many aspects of your business. Specific tasks and responsibilities will depend largely on your industry and company size, but common to all outstanding administrative staff are a great organization, communication, and interpersonal skills.
Since your administrative assistant or receptionist is generally the first person people interact with at your company, that person also needs to be a fantastic brand ambassador. They need to make a great first impression every time someone walks through the office door (virtual or real).
To ensure you strike gold with your next admin. hire, the first step is to compile a list of requisite skills and personality traits for this key, though often underestimated, role.
- Strong organisation and time management skills
- Solid communication and interpersonal skills – verbal, non-verbal, written, and spoken
- Excellent working knowledge of IT tools including Mircosoft Office Packages (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook), Zoom, Google Workspace, etc.
- A typing speed of 60 words per minute or more
- Ability to work well independently and as part of a team
- Meticulous attention to detail and a strong sense of personal responsibility
- Great multitasking skills
- A positive, can-do attitude and the ability to anticipate what’s required next
- Curiosity to learn and flexibility
- Confidence, empathy, and optimism!
You may have a few more items to add to the list for the specific role you’re recruiting for, including requisite qualifications and work experience. Once you’re satisfied that you’ve covered everything – in collaboration with other relevant members of your team – sort all the items on your list into must-have and nice-to-have columns. Use the first list to craft a job description that accurately represents the role and will attract best-fit candidates. You’ll also need to ensure that your advert is seen by the right people.
ABL Recruitment has three decades of experience crafting effective job descriptions and connecting them to talented job seekers who tick all the boxes. We know who they are and we know how to reach them. Thanks to bulk discounts, we’ll also save you money on your job adverts. We take all the stress out of the recruitment process, quickly delivering a short list of pre-vetted, talented candidates for your consideration. In terms of the benefits of working with us, this is just the tip of the iceberg.
Please get in touch with us at 020 7092 3911 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more about how we can save you time and money in your talent search, and help you secure great hiring outcomes. Quickly. Cost-effectively. Expertly.