The Intra-company Visa

Below is what we hope will be a helpful outline to the sponsorship options available to companies looking to take on EU nationals, and for EU nationals hoping to secure work here in the UK. This short document will supplement the previous outline guide that we sent you that explained the application process and costs around getting pre-settled and settled status.


What is Intra-company visa?

The Intra-Company Transfer Visa is where existing workers of multinational companies can be transferred to a branch in the UK and receive a visa to work here.

There are 2 types of Intra-Company Visa


The first type is the Intra-company Transfer visa:

Who qualifies:

  • An applicant must have worked in a company abroad for at least 12 months (unless the salary paid to the applicant is £73,900 p/a)
  • The candidate must have a valid job offer and a Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) from the employer
  • The employer must hold a sponsorship licence
  • The job available to the candidate is genuine and legal
  • The applicant must possess sufficient skills and experience for the role
  • The role is at the relevant skill level (typically degree level or above)
  • The applicant will be paid an appropriate salary (at least £41,500 or higher) for the role
  • The applicant has enough funds (£1,270) to maintain themselves

The charges (payable by the applicant. These can also be paid by the employer)

  • The applicant must be able to pay the one-off application fee (this ranges from £610 to £1,408 depending on the circumstances)
  • A general healthcare surcharge is also payable (£624 per year)

Total payable by the applicant in year one is £1,234-£2,028

What are the conditions and length of stay allowed?

  • If applying for the Intra-Company Transfer Visa the applicant can stay in the UK for a cumulative total of 5 years in any 6-year period.
  • If the applicant is earning over £120,000 p/a, the maximum is 9 years in a 10-year period
  • During the stay in the UK, applicants can only work for the sponsor in the role described on the CoS
  • This visa does not lead to Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK
  • Partners and children can apply to join you in the UK as ‘dependents’

You can apply online by clicking here


The Intra-company Graduate Trainee Visa:

The second type of visa is the Intra-Company Graduate Trainee Visa and allows for transfers to the UK as part of a formal graduate training programme.

Who qualifies?

  • As above. However, the minimum salary is £23,000 p/a
  • Applicants must have been working at the company for at least 3 months before the application

The charges (payable by the applicant. This can also be paid by the employer as part of their package)

  • A one-off application fee is payable (this ranges from £610 to £1,408 depending on the circumstances)
  • The general healthcare surcharge is payable (£624 per year)

Total payable by the candidate in year one is £1,234-£2,028

What are the conditions and length of stay allowed?

  • As above, except applicants on Intra-company Graduate Trainee Visas can only stay a maximum of 5 years in a 6-year period

You can apply by clicking here

Alternatively, if you were in the UK before 31st December 2020, you can apply for Pre-settled Status under the EU Settlement Scheme. For more on this, click here


Disclaimer: This is a broad-brush guide and should not be taken as legal advice. For further guidance see the links above