How to set yourself up for success with your New Year’s resolutions 2022
If the pandemic threw your career goals or job search objectives off course, worry not! It was but a temporary setback that you are on the verge of righting. Yes, it’s New Year 2022 and this is the perfect time to get your career back on track.
Whatever the shape and size of your goals, forget about trumpeting them from the roof tops early January to be followed by the usual inexorable slide into your old ways. Those days are over. This year, equipped with the seven top tips published by Harvard Health Publishing, you will stick your guns and succeed with aplomb. Read on to unlock the secrets of your future resolutions glory.
- Dream big and keep it meaningful! Audacious goals that relate to your internal value system are compelling and motivating. With perseverance, encouragement and support, you can do it. Your ambitions will inspire those around you and they will cheer you on, often lending their help in practical ways.
- Now think tiny. Break your big dreams into small steps that move you towards your ultimate goal. Enjoy breezing through the easier tasks first to build confidence and momentum.
- Write down the pros and cons of the behaviour or situation that you’d like to change to have a clear view of how the benefits outweigh the disadvantages. This exercise is motivating and can reveal how to enjoy the pluses without suffering the minuses. For example, if you want to give up smoking for health reasons but will miss taking cigarette breaks with colleagues, your list will flag up that you simply need to find healthier ways to spend time with co-workers. Tick!
- Commit yourself. Make yourself accountable through a written or verbal promise to people you don’t want to let down. That will encourage you to slog through tough spots. And if you’d like more support for the tougher moments, seek out people with like-minded goals online.
- Reward yourself for the little things. Every time you complete a job application, land an interview or shut down your computer on time for five days in a row, give yourself a pat on the back in the form of supper at your favourite eaterie, a new item of clothing or a lovely walk with friends. Whatever floats your boat, keep it going on the right direction with such rewards.
- Learn from the so-called failures. If you fall at a particular step en route to your goal, perhaps you set the bar too high? Scale-back the ambition for your next step to stay motivated and keep your eyes firmly set on the end goal. You’re doing great!
- Be grateful for what you achieve and forget perfection. Every step, regardless of size, is taking you closer to your prize. It’s all good.
Another take on how to boost your chances of success, is to keep your goals SMART i.e. specific, measurable, actionable, relevant and time-bound. Please read the New York Times article on the subject for details.
Now you know how to set yourself up for success with this year’s New Year’s resolutions, it’s time to go for it! You’ve got this!
If you’d like any support in your search for your dream job, or just wish to chew the fat over a related matter, please get in touch. We’ve got your back and we’re always happy to hear from you!