Sprinkling your home office with yuletide magic is not always easy. With no colleagues in Christmas jumpers humming ‘Jingle Bells’ as they type, or whisperings of office party misbehaviour to eavesdrop on, December can take on the shape of any other month…
Stop! It doesn’t have to be this way! Even if you’re working from home full-time, there are many things you can do to get into the Christmas spirit. And, once you’re in The Zone, there’s a lot you can do to spread the good cheer too. Here are some ideas from Wikihow to get you started:
- Play Christmas tunes in the background. If you find them too distracting, just put them on when you take a break.
- Infuse your workspace with yuletide scents. Bake a batch of cookies or light up your cinnamon and mandarin-scented candles.
- Put up the Christmas decorations. Get your tree and ornaments up early. Having a small workspace is no excuse! Tiny Christmas trees exist for this very reason, and garlands can be hung to fit any room size.
- Go for a stroll. Make a point of getting out and about, even if it’s just for half an hour at lunchtime, so you can soak up the Christmas spirit on your local high street. This one exercise alone will do much to put a festive skip in your step.
- Plan to see family, friends and colleagues to celebrate the season. Scheduling Christmas pub lunches for every Friday in December goes a long way to boosting that Christmas feeling. Enjoy the glow!
- Get organised with your present shopping. Plan ahead of time to avoid last-minute shopping stress, and enjoy the ceremony of wrapping all those carefully chosen gifts. Wherever possible, plan to give your presents in person. These personal interactions are the essence of the Christmas dream!
- If you don’t have the budget or the appetite for Christmas cards this year, how about creating a quick e-card and sending it to all your friends and family instead?
Do you have any other ideas on how to inject the Christmas spirit into WFH? Please share them with us. And, if a new dream job features on your Christmas wish list, please get in touch. ABL is the UK’s number one multilingual recruitment expert. With over 30 years of experience in the field and longstanding relationships with 400+ leading companies worldwide, we’ll be able to find you the perfect new role and help you ace the interview. Please give us a call on +44 (0)20 7092 3911 or email us at email@example.com to brainstorm the options.