Congratulations! Your job application has been successful and you’ve been invited to interview. Next up, you’re going to need to shine, sparkle and dazzle in the interview room. No problem! Thanks to our ten expert interview tips below, all you need to do is pay attention and hit play. Good luck!
- Do your research on the company, the position, and the industry. This means reading the company website, following it on LinkedIn, swotting up on any recent press coverage, and getting the lowdown from your trusted recruitment partner.
Prepare a handful of questions to ask the interviewer based on your research to highlight your genuine interest. If you can ask questions that reference something the interview says on the day, all the better.
- Prepare your answers to standard interview questions like, ‘What’s your biggest weakness?’ and ‘Tell me about yourself.’ Browse our blog articles or skip straight to the links at the bottom of this article for our expert guidance on how to answer common questions.
- Search on Google for interview questions that are likely to come up for the role or industry you’re interviewing for. Check on websites like Glassdoor for hints about the kinds of questions the company has asked previous applicants.
- Get acquainted with the STAR technique to learn how to ace competency-based questions. This approach – which focuses on your skills rather than your qualifications and experience – is increasingly popular in the interview room.
- Practice, practice, practice! You need to know your answers well but deliver them in a natural, unstilted way. Ask your friends and family to host a mock interview for you and give you their honest feedback. Even better, record and review your responses to identify areas for improvement. You may be surprised by how many times you use filler words such as ‘um,’ ‘ahh’ and ‘like…’
- Dress to impress! Even if your potential future workplace has an informal dress code, it’s always good to look smart and professional to show that you’re taking the interview seriously. Err on the conservative side with your wardrobe, make-up, and hair choices.
- Prepare your stuff! Bring a notepad and pen to note any points that you might like to follow up on at the end of the interview. Take your references and work portfolio with you. And, above all else, turn your mobile to silent!
- Arrive 10 minutes early to show that you’re reliable, organised and professional.
- Be confident! This applies to both how you talk and your body language. So make eye contact, sit up straight, and smile. Be authentic, respectful, positive, and open too. And don’t ever bad mouth your previous employers or teammates – that’s interview suicide.
- Send a follow-up note to thank your interviewer for their time. Take the opportunity to highlight once again why you’re perfect for the job and how keen you are.
Browse our blog section for additional expert tips on how to impress at an interview, or click on the links below to discover how to best tackle many common questions.
– How to answer the interview question: ‘Tell me about yourself’
– How to answer the interview question – ‘What’s your biggest weakness?’
– How to ace the interview question – ‘What’s your current salary?’
– What to say when your interviewer asks ‘Do you have any questions?’
In conclusion, impressing at an interview requires preparation, thought, and professionalism. But, to take things to the next level, there’s no substitute for working with a trusted, expert recruitment consultant like ABL Recruitment. We have long standing relationships with 400+ leading companies worldwide. So – in addition to connecting you to opportunities that you might not otherwise hear about – we will share valuable insights on exactly what your interviewer is looking for. Please get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 020 7092 3911 today to find out more.