Today – as the world pauses to celebrate World Environment Day – we consider how you can play your part in helping to transition the world to a greener, more sustainable future.
Here are some ideas – inspired by the World Wildlife Fund – on how you can start your very own green revolution from your home office today.
- Switch to renewable energy sources – the sun, wind, water, and biofuels. Investigate the cost-saving options with the Big Clean Switch.
- Replace old, energy-guzzling equipment – your printer, laptop, light bulbs, etc. – with new, energy-efficient models.
- Improve your recycling habits. Educate yourself on what exactly you can recycle and where, and always put the right items in the right recycling bins. Recycle Now is a good starting point for your research.
- Change your food choices. Eat less but better quality meat and up your intake of vegetables and whole grains. Minimise items packed in single-use plastic, favouring instead canned food and items that you can measure out and package yourself.
- Reduce water wastage by taking shorter showers, checking the integrity of all your plumbing, and hitting the eco button on your washing machine and dishwasher.
- Turn off devices on standby and unplug chargers when not in use. Lower your heating by a degree and put on an additional layer of clothing to stay warm instead.
- Exchange your car for your walking shoes, public transport, or carpooling whenever possible.
- Opt for suppliers with a proven track record in sustainability. Ethical Consumer Magazine is a good place to check up on companies’ green credentials. Ask HR who your company pension provider is. If they support fossil fuels, deforestation, weapons, or tobacco, ask to switch to a planet-friendly portfolio.
Support local, small, and independent businesses over large chains when buying your home office supplies. And opt for products with certifications – such as Fairtrade or Soil Association Organic labels – wherever possible.
- Abandon the throwaway fashion mentality. It has a hefty price tag for the environment. Favour instead products that are built to last, can be repaired, or are recycled. Check out sites such as Vinted, Oxfam books, eBay, and Facebook marketplace for ideas.
- Invest in a few plants. They create a calm and happy work environment which will boost your productivity. Plants also absorb toxins from the air and serve as your own personal CO2 factory.
We hope that you found the above list useful. And, if you’d like to fast-track your search for your next career move, ABL Recruitment is the UK’s number one multilingual recruitment agency and we’re here to help! With over 30 years of experience in recruitment and longstanding relationships with 400+ leading companies worldwide, we will quickly find you great-fit opportunities that tick all the boxes. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 020 7092 3911 to brainstorm the options today!