How to do your bit for mental health at work this World Mental Health Day
World Mental Health Day, celebrated on the 10th of October every year, is almost upon us. Many companies will be marking the occasion with company wellness events and educational initiatives. But there’s also a lot you can do on an individual basis to promote good mental health in the workplace.
If you’d like to embrace the occasion to create a more positive atmosphere in the office, Wikipedia has lots of ideas for you. Click here for details or skip straight to our summary below:
– Compliment one of your colleagues to brighten their day. Focus on something positive over which your co-worker has control such as their outfit or work performance.
– Do at least one random act of kindness to show your colleagues that you care about them. Small gestures, such as sharing a tray of homemade cookies with your team, lift people’s spirits and can start a chain of other random acts of kindness.
– Post inspirational quotes around your workplace. Not only will they make people feel good but they may also boost productivity.
– Nature improves everyone’s mood so bring a plant into the office. Put it in a communal area for all your colleagues to enjoy, or gift a small plant to a colleague who’s going through a bad time.
– Introduce a minor change of scenery to lift everyone’s mood, e,g, a new picture in the reception area. Be sure to ask the permission of your manager or the general office manager beforehand.
While the above ideas may seem low impact, every little helps. If we all make a point of doing just one kind thing on the 10th of October, who knows where the ripple effects could take us?! Happy World Mental Health Day for next Monday!